Skip to main content Skip to footer

Getting help for abuse or neglect

These things are not okay and if you are experiencing any of them or know someone who is it is important you seek help or advice. 

If you or the person you are concerned about is:

  • aged 18 or over
  • in need of, or may need, health and social care support (whether or not they are receiving these services)
  • being abused or at risk of abuse from another person

Then you should consider making a safeguarding adult referral.

If there is an immediate risk of harm to the person, you should contact the Police via 999 in the first instance.  If a crime has been committed but the person is not in danger, you can report this to the Police using the non-emergency number 101.

You can make the safeguarding referral through our online portal or by contacting the Adult Social Care Contact Team: 0161 206 0604.

If you would like to discuss your concerns, then you can contact the Adult Social Care Contact Team on: 0161 206 0604.

To make an emergency call if you have a hearing impairment, please see the emergencysms website.


  • Tell the call handler if you think it might be adult abuse
  • Try not to contaminate anything that could provide evidence of what's happened
  • Make sure the individual or yourself are safe - do not put yourself in danger
  • If the individual is injured seek immediate medical treatment.  Tell the ambulance personnel or Accident and Emergency staff that this is a potential adult abuse situation.

Giving as much information as possible about the situation /person you are concerned about helps the authorities to assess the level of risk and the best way of addressing any abuse or neglect. Include any information about what the person wants to happen, if you know that.  However the most important thing to do if you have concerns is to let us know so do not worry if you only have partial information.

If you are worried about someone who may need some help / care and support, but you are not concerned about abuse or neglect, there is more information here about exploring different options and you can use the portal to request support. 

Latest news

Details of all the latest news from Salford Safeguarding Adults Board.

Cookie notice

Find out more about how this website uses cookies to enhance your browsing experience.