Reporting Abuse or Neglect | Salford Safeguarding Adults Board

Reporting Abuse or Neglect

These things are not okay and if you are experiencing any of them or know someone who is it is important you seek help or advice. 

If you or the person you are concerned about is:

  • aged 18 or over
  • in need of, or may need, health and social care support (whether or not they are receiving these services)
  • being abused or at risk of abuse from another person

Then you should consider making a safeguarding adult referral. You can make the referral by contacting: 0161 631 4777

If you are not sure if they meet this criteria you can contact the safeguarding team on 0161 631 4777 and speak to them about your concerns.

To report a Safeguarding concern

If you suspect a person is at immediate risk of harm you need to call 999 and speak to the Police. All calls concerning worries about vulnerable adults are treated seriously. If a crime has been committed but the person is not in imminent danger, ring 101.

To make an emergency call if you have a hearing impairment, please see the emergencysms website.

To report a non-urgent concern contact:

Salford Adult Social Care

Between 8.30am and 4.30pm from Monday to Friday:

  • Telephone: 0161 631 4777
  • Email:
  • Text: 07970 134894


  • Tell the call handler if you think it might be adult abuse
  • Try not to contaminate anything that could provide evidence of what's happened
  • Make sure the individual or yourself are safe - do not put yourself in danger
  • If the individual is injured seek immediate medical treatment.  Tell the ambulance personnel or Accident and Emergency staff that this is a potential adult abuse situation.

The council has published guidance for relatives on safeguarding in Care Homes and guidance for adults at risk on what abuse is and what to do about it.

Reports can be made anonymously; we prefer it if you do give us your name and telephone number, not least as we may want to get back to you for more information or to clarify something; but we would rather hear from you anonymously about something you are genuinely concerned about than not to hear at all.

Giving as much information as possible about the situation /person you are concerned about helps the authorities to assess the level of risk and the best way of addressing any abuse. If you know what the person who you believe is being abused wants to happen that is also very useful information. However the most important thing to do if you have concerns is just to let us know so do not worry if you only have partial information

You also may have concerns about a situation that does not amount to abuse but if not addressed could eventually constitute neglect. The leaflet Help keeping your relative safe gives helpful advice to relatives about how to address matters constructively where they have concerns about a relative living in a care home.  

Latest news

Details of all the latest news from Salford Safeguarding Adults Board.